This time around I’m trying to strike a balance between trying what’s recommended, and what people suggest is an “Amercian” diet, with what I know is healthy. Not preparing my own meals, this is hard.
I’ve eaten far more burgers in the 6 days I’ve been here than I would in a month at home. Three (and counting, I’m sure). My burgers per day (“BPD”) is smack-bang on 0.5 at the moment. I’m going to make sure it doesn’t go any higher than that.
Stopping right here, I want to point out my excessive consumption of burgers is not the fault of the country, but the consumer. Don’t want to eat crap? Don’t buy it! Simple.
But I want your thoughts on the matter, too. In my attempt to pull an all-nighter to catch my plane at 5 am, I wrote the following pro/con list. Have a read, then chip in with your 2c!
– Food is very easy to find, and quick to obtain. Your day of sightseeing and general tourist-wonder doesn’t need to be planned around where/ when you’re going to eat (but it can, if you want to).
– A lot of the menus I’ve seen provide calorie information on the items available. It has been really helpful when choosing between items at some places.
– The places I’ve been staying so far have provided good, free, filtered water to guests. This makes it a lot easier to avoid.
– A damn fine steak was not difficult to find.
– Calorie information is often displayed, showing you just how ridiculous some of the ‘food’ you’re consuming is for you.
– Everything comes in such huge serves! I have yet to finish a meal, and I’ve probably still eaten twice what I should have. The portions are completely distorted.
– In the city, apples would set me back 99c each. Granted, I know they’d be much cheaper if I was at a proper grocery store, but without access to a car (or the time to mission to one in each city via public transport) this just isn’t an option.
– A salad that wasn’t smothered in a creamy sauce, or packed with bacon and croutons, has been very difficult to find. But – success – I was able to find one to take back to the hostel for dinner to tonight!
– “Would you like fries with that?”. Oh, go on – it’s only $1. For another 50c, you can get a soda too!
So – your thoughts?